September 25, 2008

Turn Around Trip...


Front Room of Gallery

Didn't plan it this way, had thought to do a drive around intro to Charlotte but by the time we finished up at the gallery it was hi traffic time in and around the city so after a couple of tight squeezes, we agreed that the best idea would be to just head home and overnight somewhere along the way. Didn't count on J's personal challenge... stopped for a nice dinner and made it back home by 11pm... and Letterman. So... 800 miles round trip in one day... don't want to do that every time!

The gallery... impressive! Their great staff made me feel very welcome and appreciated... a good start. If I had walked through the door, cold calling for an appropriate gallery for my work, I probably would have scratched through this one. The 400 artists they mention on their site are mostly craftspersons of all possible varieties and all excellent. The Carolinas are a stronghold of high quality crafts and from previous experience in the region, most galleries feature fine crafts more than 2-D art. But got to say... this gallery has more such inventory than most! But... included are a number of impressive painters and plenty of wall space in the 6000 sq ft, big house conversion... four floors and more rooms than I could count. I understand that both the owner and the marketing director beat the bushes for corporate buyers and thereby hangs the possibility of good things happening. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - so I guess you're home today. Wow, that's a long trip, but not surprised Dad wanted to just come straight back... Glad the gallery was all that you hoped it would be.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of cold calls... do you have any suggestions for those of us just starting out? I feel like we wear our hearts on our sleeves, and while I have a couple of galleries I'm interested in approaching, I'm concerned I'll come off as a babbling idiot!