April 01, 2007

Another View

Shadow Mountain, 48x36

Back from a quick trip to Dallas, a family gathering to remember a recently passed relative. Airplanes quickly deposited and retrieved us several states away and it hardly seems that we went... yet it's good to be home.

Wanted to post the promised landscapes completed last week... well, one is completed, the other, on re-examination, needs a rework and I'll wait until a better day to show it. Above is a reinterpretation of a similar work from around 2001, just wanted to replay the simplicity, which will be emphasized in future efforts.

As mentioned previously, landscapes (especially strongly abstracted versions) are more and more often in my thoughts. I love panoramic views in real life, couldn't get enough of them on my recent Santa Fe trip. I especially enjoy cresting one of our local foothill mountains with the views rippling over distant ridges. And I always claim a window seat on airplanes, and keep my nose pressed to the window as long as the landscape below stays focused.

Actually, I've never given up painting the genre... in all forms from detailed to abstract. Just not with an earnest effort to develop a serious interpretation. An interpretation that becomes a personal style. I hope that will happen this summer. Does that mean I'll quit abstracts, bokushos in particular? Hardly... there are several in progress as we speak. But this time next year, I'll have a better idea of the directional overview.

6 comments:

meno said...

I am glad that art is not so limiting that you would have to "give up" one thing in order to do another.

I love this picture.

Karen Jacobs said...

I'm very lucky to have representation that encourages me to expand my offerings. My career would have become a hobby long ago if I'd had to be creative in just one vein.

Martha Marshall said...

Just beautiful, Karen!

Anonymous said...

hey, if you, or anyone is interested...

KOLOK GALLERY JURIED EXHIBITION 2007
Open call to artists for International Juried Exhibition.
Printed Exhibition Catalog.
Open to all artists, 18 years or older.
Work must be original and executed since January 2006.

Juror: Hannah Blumenthal.

Submission deadline: June 22, 2007.

$25/1-3 entries; $10 each additional.
Online entry form and details:
http://www.kolokgallery.com/2007juried/

Kolok Gallery
(413) 664-7381, info@kolokgallery.com
Located in North Adams, MA just 4 blocks from Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art
(Mass MoCA). http://www.kolokgallery.com .

Anonymous said...

That red puts me in an altered state. I love it. Santa Fe definitely brings out the panoramic in a person.
I'm sorry about your relative.

Linda said...

I really love your abstracts, but -- I REALLY love this landscape! You've given us the best of both worlds here...