March 16, 2007

Oh, Well...

...
Structure 1 & 2 - each 48x24 - 2007

The above paintings, also completed before the Santa Fe trip, were a response to a recent series of monoprints. Just wanted to see where they might lead. They were painted before the two Construct paintings which obviously were of the same breath. I don't see this format going any further, at least not at this point, the format seems static to me. They'll lean against the wall in the hall for awhile... then maybe move upstairs for some real wall space and a final decision as to their future.

Funny, sometimes I get as far as the top landing when I turn around and take a painting back downstairs, knowing in that split second what's wrong and what needs to be done about it. Maybe it's the rarefied air of the main level... who knows?
----------<>----------<>----------

Sometimes life gets so full of OT details that there's just no use trying to be productive in any particular fashion (certainly not in an artful way.) The stars combined to take both daughter and husband out of town, leaving me with two g-kids to deal with... in the midst of soccer season (for both)... and one lit up with a full blown fever/cough/cold before her mom's plane even lifted off. And that's are just the beginning, I won't go into the rest, just suffice to say that I've not ventured into the studio for two days and not likely to until Monday.

Okay, positive thinking... I've switched my closet from winter to summer, taught Sweet Baby to cough into the back of her hand, and not spray Grammie with cold germs... lots of positive thinking going on there, on both counts! Must remember to take my zinc.


4 comments:

CMC said...

I know about g-kids with a cough this week as well........

Jacie Wiggs said...

Karen, your paintings construct 1&2 turned out amazing. I should have told you so earlier, but I often have to switch my browser and go back into your site to comment, long story! These two latest ones are also, very dynamic. In fact, they are just as dynamic and exciting as construct 1&2, even with less in them and how does that happen?

Steven LaRose said...

I love that feeling of taking a painting somewhere, and lifting it into place, stepping back, one step, two step, and then the overwhelming lunge forward to speed it back to the lab to apply the painfully obvious fix, the thing that you can't believe you didn't see before. Bells ringing, the painting has only a few seconds to live and its up to you to put that little dab of something right there to bring it back to life.

Karen Jacobs said...

Cheryl, I haven't had a bad cold in years... will make up for it with this one. I feel rotten!

Jacie, if the browser problem is on my end, let me know. I think I like the simplified versions better too. I feel like I'm forcing the use of inked paper... don't know where that's going.

Stephen, you're so right. Sometimes you have to put the work into a new atmosphere to gain perspective. Hopefully, it's not on a gallery wall when lightening strikes.