December 16, 2005

Uncertainty Returns

A Georg Baselitz quote: "I always work out of uncertainty but when a painting's finished it becomes a fixed idea, apparently a final statement. In time though, uncertainty returns... your thought process goes on."

Love it when I read something I could have written myself... and the words come from an artist of note. Very often as I move my work around to different galleries, I'll pick up a painting that begs to be worked on again... "uncertainty returns". With some it's just a touch, other's get a complete reworking, like 'what was I thinking?' I'm getting better at leaving them alone, for the most part. When you put work out to the general public, they all view and interpret it differently and what I see as a gross error might appear just perfect to someone else.

No comments: