November 07, 2005

Sizing Up In Oils

Theses canvases are 24" square. This was the first of these two and appears to be a landscape of sorts, but is actually an exercise in moving paint around. Much different from the little object scraps done earlier. I will probably paint on it more, define the concept and see what happens. They enlarge when clicked

I followed the blurry landscape with this calculated composition, borrowing from a current series of acrylic paintings. It's obvious there is much more to discover about the handling of these oils I've invested in... I need to go back and review some older oil paintings I was doing when I first moved into abstraction... I don't recall this much confusion. This piece has already been painted on since the photo... putting some digital space between me and the painting seems to help sort a few things out.

No comments: