July 15, 2011

Dusting Off...

Cobwebs around here... my bad! Can't believe the last post was written back in Feb, so much has happened, not to mention the drastic change of temperature between then and now. But we won't go there.

Had a really terrific April solo show at Carol Robinson Gallery in New Orleans (corner of Napoleon and Magazine, should you be visiting the city.) Really terrific in that she knows how to hang a show and sell it! I've been avoiding solo shows for a few years and that's not only bad for the resume but also for creating "reaching points"... most important to have good goals. Installation pics can be seen on the right hand side of this page.

Spring weather had J and I finishing up the elaborate step project at the lake house... we built the first steps when we lived there in the early 80's and are now replacing them with a much easier, and pleasant, assent up that steep hill. That deserves a post all it's own so I'll get to that later.



My summer project has been to set up an oil painting studio at the lake house. It's the same space I used as my studio 25 years ago. The walk out basement has great lighting and views of the lake... have to keep my back to the windows in order to get any work done! I've worked with oils on and off and a couple of years ago I loaded up on paints and supplies determined to conquer the beast (acrylics really make you lazy, so easy to mix and clean up after.) I also have a gallon of cold wax and hope to make it work for me as a medium... but who knows. This project also deserves it's own blog post (series, even) so will follow up soon.

Summer means lots of visiting and visitors... also much g-kid carpooling to work around. August will be especially busy. Time spent at the lake house without wifi and cable TV reminds me of how much time I spend in the computer chair when at home where I don't get nearly as much done that requires physical activity... which I need more of, not less!


So... I signed on to the new Google+. ARG! Hey! I've got this curiosity that must be satisfied! I'm just looking... and my website soooo needs updating, redesigning, even... but now, off to the studio! The acrylic one...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful studio space! It's nice to hear from you again and I can't wait to see what you do with the cold wax.

Karen Jacobs said...

Me too! Thanks ;)

Anonymous said...

Yay - glad you're back in blogland. Was worried about you.

Karen Jacobs said...

Thanks for the welcome back, Cath... will try to stay current this time. ;)

Cathy Hegman said...

Love the space! I know the feeling about setting up spaces in other locations....I think sometimes I need a HUGE building to house all of my different studios! I have my en caustic studio in Yazoo City( at our old house that has not sold yet) I fondly refer to it as Studio B, 30 miles from here and now I need a studio for plaster work, trying to make some books with plaster and leftover found stuff and repurposing some old paintings that have seen there last days on earth.. thought the new life for them would be in arty books etc so they retain their heritage..it never ends...

Oh and be careful with the oil and wax, it is like heroin to an addict, gets into your psyche and you cannot get it out....I have given half of my studio to full time oil and wax now....very much fun indeed!

Karen Jacobs said...

I'll be turning to you for advice, Cat... but for now, I just need a long dry spell with nothing else happening... and that's not right now, I've afraid.