October 31, 2010

Small World

 Small World 2 - 42 x 45


Small World 1 - 60 x 40

The commission is finished, approved and shipped! I worked through my NOLA gallery and a Maryland decorator for a private client in Washington DC who selected SW-1 from my website. This was the second time this decorator had selected my work for her client to choose from and she really is easy to work with, I just get nervous when I must paint to please. 

I was sent several swatches (at my request) and discovered that the digital images I sent the decorator looked way different on her computer... she kept repeating: no blues or grays! And I repeatedly assured her there were none in the painting. I copied, printed and taped up every clue mentioned in emails and sincerely hope I made everyone happy... could have kept painting forever but realized that I would never satisfy both myself and the 'others' so when they said they were happy, I took it off the boards. 

Commissions make me really nervous... especially for private homes. I still see things I'd change if given half a chance... aarg!

9 comments:

p said...

i like it. it feels very spherical and iron-like. good for you it is done and they liked it!

Anonymous said...

I am bummed...I see blues and greys. That means I am not seeing the true artwork. I wonder how many other works I am seeing incorrectly? But I do like what I see. Strong compostions and I like the colors..lol even if they are 'wrong'. Good job and grats on the commission.

Karen Jacobs said...

I'll give you a little 'teal blue' in the the top painting (the commission) which was deemed acceptable (especially after I saw the swatches) but the lighter corner is beige, not gray ;) I'm on a Mac and colors are 'supposed' to be soooo accurate but calibration is not an exact science on any computer including this one. I will cheer when they come out with a universal calibration tool ;)

Cathy Hegman said...

Mine seems to read okay...I see the beige instead of gray. I am on a pc so go figure. You can calibrate your monitor to correct colors etc. that is what I do when I get one. They ship the monitors to appear too bright and contrasty (apparently good for selling them to the public)you have to go in and change that in order to see images in their true colors etc.I love the paintings they are just fabulous and of course I resonate highly with the circle! Very nice and good job on the commission! You can rest a bit now....but only until the next one comes along! LOL

Karen Jacobs said...

I don't encourage commissions but I talk positive to reps about the potential. My experience has been that corporate commissions allow more freedom to improvise but when a painting is going into a home I don't know, I can only imagine how preconceived their expectancies might be. Personally, I can't imagine turning such a personal choice over to the unknown interpretations of the artist. But then, maybe that's just me.

Lynne Taetzsch said...

I used to hate the idea of commissions also, but since my clients have always liked what I paint, I feel easier about it these days. But always, to eliminate some of the pressure, I paint two canvases and let them choose one.

Anyway, I love yours, Karen!

Seth said...

I sometimes get so frustrated with the color inaccuracies on the computer. But I have to say that no matter what colors these pieces are...they are tremendous!

Karen Jacobs said...

You are all very kind! I appreciate ;)

Anonymous said...

For some reason, the shapes remind me of a religious medallion this time. I like it! I do see some blues here and there, but the beige also. Wish I could see it in real life...