September 18, 2008

Nudes...

Okay... first a story about a pinch pot my (very prudish) mother brought back from New Zealand for me (I had asked for a little something made by the locals, not 'made in China' tourist stuff, as she was prone to buy on her travels...) So I was delighted when she brought back a couple of pinch pots. And even more delighted when I noticed the line design around one of them... an aboriginal Mimi of a woman, squatting and with boobs bouncing... not an image my mom would have noticed, and indeed denounced when it was pointed out to her! I loved it!

At this time in my artistic development, early 90's, I was in transition. The grasses had become a repetition of leaf forms which lead to patterns and all their possibilities. I needed to break away from the detail and see where I could go with it... and this little nude offered a direction. The series wasn't more than a dozen efforts, but made painting fun again... offering a bridge to more interesting possibilities.

To be cont...

1 comment:

Jacie Wiggs said...

Oh no, to be continued...rats!LOL Neato pot, those bouncing boobs are wonderful!