January 20, 2006

Minimal Landscapes

48x24 'Outback' was one of the paintings delivered to Atlanta this week, finished in a hurry (for me) to round out the number of canvases delivered. The senior owner especially liked it, pointing to it several times during the viewing (all new work lined up to critique.) And although it doesn't show well reduced to this size, it's not a bad painting, just could be better.

Landscapes should be so easy... I've had some good ones over the years, and many not so good ones. My goal is to strip them down to the essense without losing the bones. Granted... the essense in usually in my head since I don't paint on location and quickly deviate from photos or memory. Here again, I delete anything that could be of help to the process and rely on happenstance. There's got to be a better way.

No comments: