September 03, 2011

Pylon Update

 TEMPO - warm side   -  48" - 60" - 40"  -   TEMPO - cool side

For background on the painted boxes I call 'Pylons' check out this link for a few previous posts. And my website page featuring the whole series. The more recent post involves a freestanding set of three which I call 'Tempo' and feel are finally complete after several attempts to wind them up... you can imagine that a four sided painting (times three) can have a mind of it's own which keeps offering up new ways of expression. Sometimes you just have to be firm, put a final coat on it and sign the darn things!


I've mentioned before that this is not an original thought... we all know there is no such thing, but in my search to at least find an expression that doesn't follow a well worn path, and also isn't totally bizarre, these long, skinny boxes serve a purpose. The artist Anne Truitt made her mark with this type of structure/sculpture way before I thought of it... and in a large NYC gallery they really look spectacular! I know my slightly off-road path isn't going to carry me that far but it's fun to imagine. Anyway, I can't be that minimal, no matter how I try... and that's were the real class is, IMHO.

FRAGMENTS, GARNET and GOLD - 48" - wall pieces  - texture buildup process

Usually, my pylons are wall hung in sets of two or three... though created as sets, often are sold separately. My most recent pair were wall pieces and I decided to use bits and pieces of textured paper and cloth to build up the painting surface. This really took control of the options left to me so after many applications (necessary in my process anyway) I went with a rather simple glazing, allowing the texture to be the main focus. They received the ultimate compliment before I made it home from the gallery the next day ;)

I've order more boxes from my in-house carpenter... this series may evolve... not sure how, but it's not over yet.

8 comments:

CMC said...

Cool, Karen... and they have your style/stamp all over them in my opinion.......

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

wonderful pieces, Karen.

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

Who makes the pylons for you? Are they 4 x 4"?

Karen Jacobs said...

Thanks, Cheryl ;) We have to keep our 'stamp'!

Martha, they vary a bit but 4-6" wide and about 4" deep. Joel builds them for me and we are always experimenting with the options. Glad you like them!

Cathy Hegman said...

I love them and I think yours are the best ones. I love the texture you are putting on them, very nice!

Martha Marshall said...

Oh yeah, what Cheryl said. They are as much "you" as the big paintings. But I'm a little sad that this computer thingie doesn't let me touch them!

Sizun said...

I've always loved your pylons. I'm pleased to read that we'll have the opportunity to admire more of them. It's funny that you're posting about 3D work just now because this week-end I decided I had to find a large wooden dice to make 6 6"x6" collages on its sides, each one symbolizing a day of the week from monday to saturday. To be kept on my desk...

Karen Jacobs said...

Thanks, Ghislaine... yours should be a fun project!