August 16, 2009

Catching Up...


Vermillion View - 60 x 48 - 2007

Good grief! Can't believe how bad I am at maintaining some kind of order around here! My intent was to follow the last infrequent blog entry with installation pics of my work in the new gallery... but one thing and another later, I've yet to make a photo shoot trip to see it myself! But signs of a routine reestablishing itself might make it possible. This week for sure!

So... if you don't read me on Facebook, the news is that an instate rep picked up a few paintings to try out at some fancy corporation digs... and at least one (above) might stick. No final word yet. Gotta say, this painting does not photograph well... even the rep remarked about how much better it looked in real time. Lots of nuances... layers, etc.

Am focused in the studio on transforming a couple of horizontal landscapes into big verticals for spots in a Texas hill country golf club setting... a new rep doing a good job! More on that as they come together.

So, artwise, all is well in some corners... but like many, holding my breath in others... some galleries are just flat out... well, flat. I am lucky to have a decent mix.

I'm still convinced that the Bokusho series has a future so I continue to start new efforts in that direction. Though they took off at the beginning, the follow through fell with the market (and with the closing of one gallery that had established and sold them very well.) Try as I may, when I present them first, the gallery or rep will still mix in regular abstracts or abstracted landscapes... so they never get a chance to stand alone, which is how they should be viewed. At least I did have one show of nothing but... wouldn't I love to work toward another!

To amuse myself, I recently tried to do a series of big white paintings (basically bokusho based.) That didn't last long. I've managed to introduce a softer look but white paintings remain a challenge that I accidentally attain from time to time.

And so it goes...

6 comments:

Annette Bush said...

Love this painting, Karen. Glad to see your thought processes here -- especially about the Bokushu. I agree that they need to be shown by themselves, but think they can be grouped after purchase.

It seems your combinations of galleries and reps/lake fun and studio energies/family and friends has been perfect. Can't wait to see what happens for you in the fall.

Janet said...

Love this.

Karen Jacobs said...

Thanks for the good thoughts, Annette... you know as well as I that nothing is 'perfect' but there's no need dwelling on the rough edges unless something can be done about them. Just piecing it all together trying to make sense of it all ;)

Cathy Hegman said...

The painting is beautiful!!! I love it. I am not surprised the Rep liked it and the Corporation as well. I am so happy for you. I feel your pain on slower sales with the economy...ouch! I like your Bokushu series too and I am surprised that they are not still taking flight in the market. I think they are really nice and very unique. Timing is everything! I have several series that I thought were terribly interesting but alas I was alone in that thinking...some I have had to reinvent to get them our of here; others are still languishing in my studio, like a bunch of wallflowers! Funny how we perceive things!

Seth said...

Wonderful painting. The colors are so rich and deep.

Karen Jacobs said...

Appreciating all the good thoughts... maybe I'll take that positive energy into the studio today and put it to use ;)