January 10, 2009

Gallery Hop...


I wonder if I can write this off my expenses under the category: Inspiration...

Mary Hardy, a long time artist friend from the Gulf Coast is in town for a few days so we made arrangements to do a gallery run Friday. I have been soooo bad about getting to the galleries... my regular sidekick moved away last year and she was always good for prodding me out of my hermit hole. Excuses, excuses... Anyway, Mary and I set out, had a great time and once again I am resolving to do this more often... I'm such a dud!

Our first stop was at my gallery and was glad to see that my work occupied several prominent spots. It's always fun to see your work through another artist's eyes and Mary did me proud... saying just the right things to fluff up my ego... we all need fluffing from time to time!

Then we hit a couple more, and I was able to introduce her to the owner and one of my former reps of one of the better galleries in town... of course I mentioned that she was an outstanding artist... the owner asked about her work and one thing led to another and it looks like Mary has a good chance at representation... I told her I want acknowledgment on her resume!

But the talk is, of course, the economy... and the hope to keep doors open until things turn around. I came home to an email from a gallery owner asking his artists to go along with a 25% sale next month... some will balk at this but I gave him my total support... you do what you have to do! He's saying people just aren't even coming through the doors! I feel that there is still plenty of money out there but people are holding on to it. But if they feel they are getting good value they will spend it.

And yes, I put my money where my mouth is... my weakness is Raku pottery. I hope the economy appreciates...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen,it was an honor to get to spend part of the day with you gallery hopping. It was a huge treat to see more of your stunning work. I am in awe of your work and of the work you have done to be such a professional at the business aspect of it. One HUGE question....WHEN DO YOU SLEEP?!!!