I had a good day in the studio today, was finally able to begin working with the ink and paper on raw canvas... well, prepped with a thin wash of medium but no color at all. This first in-progress canvas uses smaller squares (most about 1.5") but varying the size and grid somewhat. In order to avoid a static look, the horizontal grid lines (or spaces) are regular, but the vertical lines are occasionally staggered. The values are also grouped and not evenly dispersed. As I worked, I pulled papers from several different test batches which offered a slight variation in ink color. That also adds to the interest and negates over-all sameness. I couldn't resist adding one red square... I call that my chop mark, made with a child's alphabet block, in this case, the O. I do hope the ancient Asian artisans know that I have nothing but respect for their centuries of disciplined artmaking, but I so enjoy borrowing from it and playing my own games.
The second canvas (both are 20x20) was a change of pace and grid size. Although the canvas is square, there are four rows one way and five the other... the papers are slightly rectangle. Enlarge the photo and you'll see the beginning of the second random layer at the top. The gauzy transparency of the rice paper creates value change and the marks it carries adds to the dialog with the lower layer. I've completed these two layers but wanted to show this step in the process. I'll look with fresh eyes tomorrow to decide how much further to carry this thought.