February 16, 2006

Thinking Monoprints

Thinking ahead to Monday, when I'll take off for most of the week, spending it at Dottie Gardner's big studio in the woods in Folsom (north of Lake Ponchatrain.) Her studio is dedicated to monoprints and she invites artists to come and print, using her press and materials, living at her house, cooking in her kitchen... for token payment. It's called a workshop, and she does teach some sessions, but we who know the ropes are given a free hand.

Haven't a thought as to what I'll try to accomplish during the week, it's my third or fourth time, I'm not big into monoprints but Dottie's a dear friend and, hopefully, this will help her get back on track after the devastating Katrina... she needs this. And who knows... maybe I'll take it to another level... that would be nice. At the very least, I'll be with a good friend, a mentor of sorts and another artist I don't get to see often enough. I'm including a pic of the results of the first time I made this trip... yep, those are all mine. They call me a press hog with good reason.

I won't be going into NOLA this trip, but hope to make an opening in Ms Thursday night... first at the Ms Gulf Coast College since Katrina, and involves a collaboration bytwo artists who are good friends of mine (but never could have guessed they would actually work together!)

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

That's going to be great fun! Sure wish I could be there.

Karen Jacobs said...

I can put you in touch if you're ever interested... she offers workshops on demand, just needing 3 or 4 at a time. KJ