April 04, 2008

The Taste Of ...


2008 - Saku - 48x36

Follow me as I pace around the studio:

There are paintings on three walls and several surfaces, all in varying states of progress, some near finished.

I walk around a large work table in the center of the room, occasionally reaching for a sip of coffee or a favorite nibble, a honey butter flavored Pringle Stix which makes a really fine appetite suppressant.

I study various works, making an occasional mark, line or gesture with a stick of vine charcoal... indications that something else needs to happen in that area.

I move on, eyes glued to the work in progress... another sip of coffee, another nibble...

>>Pla-too-eey<<

I've picked up and chowed down on the charcoal stick, not the honey butter cracker stick... I wipe and spit until all is clear but the taste remains... and it's really yuck!

Some days are like that...

**just realized the above painting isn't quite finished... must have had a thought interrupted!

9 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

In my brief 45 years, I've dipped my brush in my beer and quaffed my rinse water one time each. Nasty but hilarious lessons.

Anonymous said...

When I used to paint with brushes, I frequently reversed the coffee mug for the paint water, art is in the system! Saku is beautiful, I think the new gallery has put some fire in your pants! Get out there & paint!!
I'm very happy for you.
P

Karen Jacobs said...

Seems you're not a bona fide artist until you stir your brush in your coffee, or beer, as the case may be. (though I figured you for a beer-from-the-bottle guy, Steve.) Appreciate the thumbs up, Patricia... I AM motivated these days...

Anonymous said...

Yum!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda S.

Joanie Gagnon San Chirico said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Annie B said...

So funny! I've never eaten charcoal, but I *have* taken a swig of rice paste thinking it was tea. (Rice paste may sound edible, but it's >pla-too-eey< too.)
I really like the "unfinished" painting you posted.

Daphne Enns said...

water colouring and drinking has always been a dangerous thing for me to combine.

I'm never going to buy the children-oriented yogurt in a tube. Next thing I know I'll be squeezing acrylic paint into my mouth...

Martha Marshall said...

Oh Karen -- I can so picture me doing that! I have to constantly chant to myself "this is my coffee cup, not my water container." Plus, I have to put the coffee far away from the work area.

Seth said...

Karen: This is an exceptional painting. The detail I saw when I enlarged the image is fanatastic.