April 04, 2008

The Taste Of ...


2008 - Saku - 48x36

Follow me as I pace around the studio:

There are paintings on three walls and several surfaces, all in varying states of progress, some near finished.

I walk around a large work table in the center of the room, occasionally reaching for a sip of coffee or a favorite nibble, a honey butter flavored Pringle Stix which makes a really fine appetite suppressant.

I study various works, making an occasional mark, line or gesture with a stick of vine charcoal... indications that something else needs to happen in that area.

I move on, eyes glued to the work in progress... another sip of coffee, another nibble...

>>Pla-too-eey<<

I've picked up and chowed down on the charcoal stick, not the honey butter cracker stick... I wipe and spit until all is clear but the taste remains... and it's really yuck!

Some days are like that...

**just realized the above painting isn't quite finished... must have had a thought interrupted!

9 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

In my brief 45 years, I've dipped my brush in my beer and quaffed my rinse water one time each. Nasty but hilarious lessons.

Patricia Oblack said...

When I used to paint with brushes, I frequently reversed the coffee mug for the paint water, art is in the system! Saku is beautiful, I think the new gallery has put some fire in your pants! Get out there & paint!!
I'm very happy for you.
P

Karen Jacobs said...

Seems you're not a bona fide artist until you stir your brush in your coffee, or beer, as the case may be. (though I figured you for a beer-from-the-bottle guy, Steve.) Appreciate the thumbs up, Patricia... I AM motivated these days...

Anonymous said...

Yum!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda S.

Joanie San Chirico said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Annie B said...

So funny! I've never eaten charcoal, but I *have* taken a swig of rice paste thinking it was tea. (Rice paste may sound edible, but it's >pla-too-eey< too.)
I really like the "unfinished" painting you posted.

Daphne said...

water colouring and drinking has always been a dangerous thing for me to combine.

I'm never going to buy the children-oriented yogurt in a tube. Next thing I know I'll be squeezing acrylic paint into my mouth...

Martha Marshall said...

Oh Karen -- I can so picture me doing that! I have to constantly chant to myself "this is my coffee cup, not my water container." Plus, I have to put the coffee far away from the work area.

thealteredpage said...

Karen: This is an exceptional painting. The detail I saw when I enlarged the image is fanatastic.