January 23, 2008

Blog Bog...

Screen shot of my blog reader - I would have put an image of a
new painting here but clouds got in the way.

So there I was... in perfectly good sleep mode... when a heat wave hit and I frantically flipped layers from my cavern of warmth, one I'd earlier cultivated and cherished and happily sunk deeply into. I searched for that comfort zone again, first on this side, then on that... face up, face down... covers on, covers off... finally realizing my increasingly alert mind is composing a blog entry forcryingoutloud!

An observation: have you noticed the increasing number of blogs on your must read list? Mine has blossomed into several categories beyond art... okay, I'm a political junkie, don't hit me! But just sticking to the subject of art and the artists who write them: remember the surge of expectation when you'd find a new blog of interest and on the side bar would be a long list of yummy sounding links to a new assortment of reads... so a few hours are dedicated to reviewing the list and you, of course, come across even more lists... and the process mushrooms, never mind multiplies, until you begin to understand the meaning of infinity. Now that once delightful surge of discovery begins to feel every bit like the sucking pull of quicksand.

Okay... a few weeks ago a link took me to a list of the top 100 art blogs. Mine wasn't on it of course which immediately cast doubt as to the viability of the list, but no matter, maybe I would now know which were the 'must reads' out there... which were so good that everyone was signed up. Well, I plugged away at a few and realized most were no better or worse that those I already read, and like this year's fresh flock of Hollywood starlets they were hard to tell apart.

Well, I'm hooked, I suppose. No plan to stop reading, certainly not stop writing... it's (catch word coming) 'therapeutic' to journal about your life's work, it's ups and downs, the good times and bad. I will still search out new reads along with old favorites, but blogs are like life, some days, and even some paintings, just aren't as exciting as others.

So I've just committed my first resolution breaker... to cease and desist from creating long, wordy blogs about nothing in particular... I'll try not to do it again...

8 comments:

Daphne Enns said...

I also continue to bookmark new blogs and yet I typically read only my usual suspects most days.

I too checked the site of the top 100 artists websites. I think that in order to be on it you have to submit your blog and then a check is done. Undoubtedly your would be highly rated. But what I felt was that it wasn't the most believable list since you would have to submit yourself. Seems like a popularity contest...pretty silly.

Karen Jacobs said...

Story of my life, Daphne... I seldom submit to anything ;-)

Lisa Call said...

I'm with you on the increasing number of blogs that are must reads. It's rather mind boggling. We're all brilliant :)

The top 100 list - it's based solely on technorati rating (ie how many blogs have linked to you recently). Not something I can get very excited about.

Karen Jacobs said...

Yeah... so many oysters, so few pearls. Lists are good but for a custom fit, you just have to keep reading and sorting. An interesting process... talk about your reality shows ;-)

CMC said...

took the words right out of my mouth. I just don't have time so I just skim over the little one liners on many and don't go read. If and when I do read, my day is shot by the time I get to the studio or on to other things I need to do.

Joanie Gagnon San Chirico said...

Political=
www.huffingtonpost.com

Spend a ridiculous amount of time there!

Karen Jacobs said...

Cheryl... plenty of time to read between 3-5am...

Aha... Joanie's another political junkie! We won't go into details ;-)

Andrea and Kim said...

I so get what you mean about blog reading lists getting longer and longer and one link leading to so many interesting others. My "other than art" obsession? Connections to life in Europe...

Thank you for voicing this as I am sure so many people can connect with it!