August 29, 2007

Getting Over It...

Dorothea Lange's "Migrant Mother"

I think a certain amount of depression (for lack of a better term) is built into our nature... sometimes it just seems appropriate to wallow around in self-pity whether it's for yourself or just conditions in general. For me, a good dose of comeuppance usually results in thinking about when times were really hard or about people who have real problems.

The above depression era photo usually comes to mind and serves to slap me into appreciation for the good life again. How can life's little nags, no matter how prickly, match the uncertainty this mother and her children are facing? I can't call it a 'favorite' photo... but I'm always reminded of it when I need to get myself back on track.

I think I'd better go clean or organize something...

No comments: