June 05, 2006

Finding Symbols

I'm home again, but exhausted from herding g-kids much of the time and helping with wedding preps... fun but a bigger dose of hustle than my norm.

I was able to find time for detailed reference photos of a favorite bridge of mine, the Hale Boggs Bridge, or more commonly called the Luling Bridge which crosses the Mississippi River in St. Charles Parish just upriver from New Orleans. I lived near this bridge and the two upright structures have lent their lines to much of my abstract work in the last 10 - 15 years.

I had not realized until this trip how much the supports beneath the bridge are so much like Japanese Torii which have long held a strong facination for me.
And both are also very similar to The Gates which Christo created in Central Park last year.
I knew my NYC visit to see them would tie into my work in some way, though I've yet to see hard evidence... this simple supports have a magic that appeals to me, but I don't yet know how they will play out in my work. Remains to be seen.

BTW, the Bokusho Series I took to NOLA was received with enthusiasm, and I find I'll be one of the mentioned artists in a group show just going up... "Gallery Artists Featuring Yadda, Yadda, Yadda"... that's an unexpected happening. Next project in the studio will be to increase the size of the work in that series and see what happens. I've given some thought to a few other changes which I'm anxious to play around with. Would be interesting if the Torii structure could merge with the Bokusho series in some way, but I don't want to force it.

No comments: