May 25, 2006

No Better Time...

Bokusho Series 1-5, 12x12 each, mixed media

Time gets short, to-do lists get long, dependence on computer increases... so of course, time for malfunction! Three pc's and only the lamest one operative for three days, but that's life in the tech age. All fixed now, she sez, tenuously...

I'm hurrying to prepare for a week in New Orleans, with a backyard wedding being the draw for this trip. Youngest kid remarries and it's time to celebrate! So naturally, I must take new work to my gallery there, and what will that be? The new Bokusho paintings, of course! So hustle-hustle to prep seven of them. These went fairly quickly because:

1) I was enthused to be playing out works that had been fermenting in my head for the past several weeks...
2) I had a bunch of 'going-nowhere' little 12x12's and 20x20's with lots of paint and texture already on them so it was just a matter of adding another layer or three in appropriate arrangements. The 'in my head' paintings did not involve texture, but it really works well, plus allows a curve in my style rather than a sharp turn... that should be easier to deal with all the way 'round...
3) Nothing like a deadline to make things happen. I don't leave until next Monday, but having this work ready to go is a big load off shoulders.

BTW, bokusho means abstract sumi-e. I've been turning the idea over in my mind for several years, and thoughts and materials just seemed to come together this time. Hope it sticks, I want to work larger with this technique. These works don't 'hang' together that well, but they are indicative of the possibilites.

3 comments:

CMC said...

I think they look FANTASTIC.

KJ said...

Coming from the queen of collage, I appreciate that! Thanks ;-)

Walker said...

VERY nice Karen!
Robin